Monday, July 27, 2015

Podcasting Equipment Enthusiasms and an Update

MY WRITING ASSISTANT, WASHI, TESTS OUT THE PORTA-BOOTH
I've been on a Matterhornesque learning curve the last couple of weeks, having upscaled my little podcasting operation to a Porta-Booth Pro and a Yeti microphone. Suffice it to say that I figured out how the zippers work and I've been duly impressed by the power of acoustic foam. Oh, and that the Yeti works best with a pop filter. For those of you who are podcasters, yes, though it costs about the price of a pair of Italian shoes (ouch) I warmly recommend the Porta-Booth, which is well-made, effective, and, indeed, portable. As for the Yeti, since I don't yet have my pop filter, for now I am back to recording using my iPhone's dictation app.

> Read Mark Frauenfelder's review of the Yeti microphone for KK.org Cool Tools

>Watch this customer's video review of the Porta-Booth on amazon (I don't know this guy, "Your Acting Coach," but his very detailed video convinced me to buy the booth).

Meanwhile, I stand by my assertion that podcasting is easy peasy; certainly, you do not require fancy equipment to get started with a basic writer's podcast. 

I'll be offering a workshop on Podcasting for Writers at the San Miguel de Allende Writers Conference in February 2016, and in the meantime, my ebook, Podcasting for Writers & Other Creative Entrepreneurs is available in the Kindle store. I'll be updating it later this year with more about the Porta-Booth and the Yeti. 

Today I posted something my publisher, Literal Publishing, has been asking for a while now: my reading of a excerpt from my book, Odisea metafisica hacia la Revolución Mexicana (translation by Agustín Cadena). Yep, it's in Spanish, and you can listen in to that podcast anytime here.

Check out my latest Marfa Mondays Podcasts (apropos of my book in-progress about Far West Texas):

#18 Lisa Fernandes, Barrel Racer at the Pecos Rodeo

#17 Under Sleeping Lion: Lonn Taylor in Fort Davis

#16 Tremendous Forms: Paul V. Chaplo on Finding Composition in the Landscape

#15 Gifts of the Ancient Ones: Greg Williams on the Rock Art of the Lower Pacos Canyonlands

>> Get all the Marfa Mondays Podcasts here.

In-progress (***diet now!***): Marfa Mondays #19 Israel Campos, Pitmaster at Pody's BBQ in Pecos