Monday, June 05, 2017

Five Video Poems to Watch

Once in a chartreuse moon I concoct a little video... (my latest is this one about the controversial statue at the El Paso airport). Mainly I have made what I call "mini-clips" to illustrate my travel writing, which are really more like GIFs-- and, in fact, I have started making the occasional GIF. So in the jiggy flow of things, I have become intrigued by video poetry...

Herewith a few examples gleaned from my recent Internet surfaris:


Sor Juana's "Green Enchantment" Video by Dave Bonta





Ann Cefola's "Velocity"




Sandra Beasley's "Inner Flamingo"





Laurie Anderson's poem "Walking and Falling" as "Step" Filmed by Pascal Rekort





> See Dave Bonta's Moving Poems website and Bonta's excellent 2012 AWP talk, "Video Poetry: What Is it? Who Makes It? And Why?"

> See also Bonta's post from 2014, "Poetry Videos on the Web: Some Preliminary Observations." 

> You can watch some of Bonta's own video poems here.


> Your comments are always very welcome. Write to me here.