Monday, May 27, 2013

Cyberflanerie: San Miguel de Allende Edition

Patrice Wynne, owner of Abrazos in San Miguel de Allende
I love San Miguel de Allende because I have so many friends there and the arty vibe is delicious (and the food, too). Herewith a batch of SMA links:

My amiga Patrice Wynne, owner of Abrazos, is featured in this NYT article on retiring in Mexico.
I say she has it totally right.

News flash: El Centro de las Artes in San Miguel de Allende is getting a big boost from the Mexican government. This is going to be bodacious.

My amiga Dianne Romaine has a new blog about writing, playing music, and creating community in a Guanajuato barrio (a hop skip and a brinco from SMA)

Check out the website of Lulu Torbet, an amazing artist and (ghost writer too) with beautiful energy.

Sign up for the newsletter from the Galeria Atotonilco, you will be amazed. This is folk art above & beyond the stuff you'll find in tourist shops.

Maria Espinosa on memories of Mexico and writing a first novel.

My favorite San Miguel painters: Mariló Carral, Edgar Soberón, and Kelley Vandiver.

Listen in:
My talk for PEN San Miguel / Sol Literary Magazine in San Miguel's Teatro Angela Peralta, about a unique Egyptian-inspired teaching house on the US-Mexico border: A Visit to Swan House.  
And my other talk earlier last year on my translation of Spiritist Manual by Francisco I. Madero, leader of the Mexican Revolution of 1910. 
And (yep, I really do get to SMA), my talk on the novel based on the true story, The Last Prince of the Mexican Empire.
My interview with Edward Swift, SMA resident, artist and author of many delightful books including one of my all-time favorite memoirs, My Grandfather's Finger

And finally, check out Sol, the magazine of literary writing from Mexico in English.

P.S. New on my webpage, an annotated list, embryonic and to-be-frequently updated, of recommended books on Mexico.

Yes, the Marfa Mondays podcasts will be resuming shortly.