Friday, April 12, 2013

Through narrative we become more human. Truth is beauty. Exploration is infinite.

Translation: stories help us make better sense of life; integrity and aesthetics beat the alternative; and boy howdy, one could keep at this forever and an eternity!

This is my artist's statement-- what I'm all about as a writer. I used to think artist statements were kind of pretentious and silly, but I've since changed my mind. The reason? It not only helps orient the reader; for the artist, it undergirds and focuses each moment.

Right now, in this incarnation? I'm at work on the revised introduction to my translation of the secret book by the leader of Mexico's 1910 Revolution and a travel memoir of far West Texas, apropos of which I host the podcast series Marfa Mondays: Exploring Marfa, TX & the Big Bend.


Through narrative we become more human. Truth is beauty. Exploration is infinite.

And this also is why I've been blogging since I first encountered the form in 2006. Today I would describe Madam Mayo as a mashup of literary celebration (my Top 10 Books Read lists, for example), community (check out my bodacious guest-bloggers), writing advice; self-promotion (of course, I always note my new publications, workshops, podcasts, events); bees, pugs, musings & whatever catches my fancy.  

Because of spam I've turned off the comments but I am always delighted to hear from readers via email. Contact me here