Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Washington DC Writers's Houses

Via Dan Vera's Wonder Machine, his and Kim Roberts's very cool project to photograph Washington DC area writers's residences. Pictured left is Ambrose Bierce's Logan Circle apartment (and click here to read DC area poet M.A. Schaffner's work on Beltway about Bierce.). Here are a few more, yet to be listed, whom I am quite curious about:
--->Frances Calderon de la Barca, author of Life in Mexico
She met her husband, a Spanish diplomat, in Washington
--->Frances Hodgson Burnett, author of the childrens's classic The Little Princess, The Lost Prince, The Secret Garden and Little Lord Fauntleroy
I believe she lived on Connecticut Avenue.
--->Fanny Chambers Gooch, author of Face to Face with the Mexicans
I know she was in Washington for a time and had many Washington connections.
--->Henry Ridgley Evans, author of numerous works, including Old Georgetown on the Potomac, a biography of Cagliostro, and many on Freemasonry
This high-ranking Freemason and all-around very curious person lived on I Street NW. I have the address somewhere... I came across Evans's works when I was researching Georgetown history for my novel, The Last Prince of the Mexican Empire. There is an ample collection of his books in the Georgetown Public Library's Peabody Room.
More anon.